2/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 T. vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t. salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening, butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Add the flour, baking soda and salt, stir to combine. Dough should all come together and not be sticky, but soft and not dry. (See photos in the post.)
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Refrigerate dough at least 20 minutes.
- Use a small scoop to round dough into balls. Don’t roll the balls, just make them rounded. Place onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 8 minutes in the preheated oven, or until centers are set and very lightly browned. Don’t overbake. Cool 2-3 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
Variations using the dough without the chocolate chips: Snickerdoodles – Roll the dough balls in cinnamon and sugar and is snickerdoodles. Peanut Butter Cookies – add 1 cup of peanut butter. Sugar Cookies – bake the dough as it is and frost the cookies.